This is Markus Ruchter. I am a freelance illustrator with a background in science and environmental communication. It is always exiting for me to explore nature and learn more about natural phenomena through science. Throughout my studies of environmental sciences I have developed a passion for illustration while looking for ways to visualize these things and working towards sharing fascinating insights with others.
If you are planning to share scientific information or communicate about environmental topics, I would be happy to assist you in developing a concept and visualizing your data and ideas in a form that is easy to understand for your respective target groups.
I am mostly creating vector graphic illustrations which can be scaled to various dimensions without a loss in quality, allowing for a very flexible use in different media whether it is print or digital. Since the vector graphics are created directly in a digital form, they are especially suitable for use in electronic media such as ebooks or apps for mobile devices.
Thus if you are interested in my work, please feel free to contact me.
Education and professional experience:
- Diploma degree in environmental sciences, University of Duisburg-Essen (Germany)
- Master of Science in zoology, Michigan State University (USA)
- Ph.D. in environmental informatics, developing a new concept for mobile environmental education, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) (Germany)
- Certified Usability Engineer, Fraunhofer Institute (FIT), St. Augustin (Germany)
- I have been developing guided nature tours for interactive mobile applications deployed at a nature conservation center, during my assignment as a researcher at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) (Germany). Next to developing the concept, contents and illustrations this also involved usability engineering and user interface design tasks.
- I have further gained professional experience as usability engineer and consultant for environmental information systems, working for Bayer AG and Covestro AG.